Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Roses & Container Tip



KNOCK OUT ROSES... stealing the show in my garden this evening.

Container Tip:
I have just a few more annuals that need to be planted in the garden. Tonight I completed a couple of moss hanging baskets. I have been recycling the wire hanging baskets for about four years now. This year I found replacement moss at Walmart for CHEAP!

#1 - Mix SOIL MOIST in the potting soil you are using in your hangers. ESPECIALLY in the hanging moss baskets because they have a tendency to dry out fast. Adding this product to your basket will help with watering.

#2 - don't over crowed the flowers. GIVE THEM ROOM TO GROW. In this 10 inch basket I am using 3 ( 1 by 2) potted annuals.

#3 - ADD your favorite slow release fertilizer. This will help you with the work of fertilizing!

#4 - ENJOY ... that is the easy part! IF you use these simple tips you will enjoy your basket for the entire season.

Container Idea to share :

I thought this container was just too pretty to not share. I mixed the Mosquito plant with vinca vine on the deck . I love the wonderful scent it puts off when I gently brush up against it while on the deck.

Jack Kitty enjoys the rose garden as I take photos.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty BG and great advice. One year when money was tight, I used brown grocery store bags to line my baskets. It worked and didn't look too bad. Not as pretty as the moss but it worked.

The Knock Outs are blooming lots in my garden too. Very nice pictures and love the kitty.

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweet little Jack Kitty! Aren't garden cats the best?

I've never been one for trends and it took me awhile to succumb to the Knock Out hoopla and now there's no looking back. I'm hooked.

Beautiful containers.

flydragon said...

Ha, one of my faults. It seems I can't restrain myself when it comes to limiting my baskets to three plants. I'm going to have to work on that!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great tips and I love the photo of Jack Kitty. Hope you have a great day.

Andrea said...

Your photos are simply stunning! And I love the gardening tips.....goodness knows I need them! So lovely to have found you...I will be back to visit often. :)

Debbie's Garden said...

Your knock outs are blooming!!!??? Mine seem like they've JUST leaffed out! I'm so jealous. Arent you zone 5 like me? What Fancy Dance or sacrifice did you do for Mother Nature to get them????????

The author said...

You have so many beautiful pictures and cats! Maybe our barn kittens will stick around and grace us with outside shots.

I'm glad I choose to blog when Matthew is little because now I'm capturing the little things like learning his first color. It is a wonderous time.

From the land of the sunflowers to you.

Bren Haas said...

It does seem a little early Debbie for the KNOCK OUTS but I will share a little secret : Despite the fact that Knock outs are well known for low maintenance I use horse manure compose in their top bed soil and I did put some rose food around the base of the root back in early April. The YELLOW knock out has almost 30 buds on it!!!!

Tessa said...

Smart kitty! I wish my roses looked that nice :) Happy June gardening to you my friend!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the tips!

L. D. said...

Thanks for all the tips. I like Jack Kitty a lot. What a neat cat.

Betty said...

Your garden containers are wonderful. I've already planted mine for this year but will use your ideas for my Mother's containers. Great inspiration!