Monday, March 23, 2009

Juncus in my Monday Notes

Weekend Round up in Photos
My Aussie thinks I can't see her getting ready to harass the toads in the cold muck pond, a great catch out of the pond, color is starting to return after a long winter.

Waiting to hear the spring rain will return so I can find a home for these treasures I have been growing for the past two years. The County Soil & Water Conservation District organizes a sale of trees, shrubs and wildflowers each spring. The photo above is a collection of the goodies I have been growing with hopes of that they would reach a good size before being moved into a permanent location. I am super excited about how well these Spruce trees grew on the edge of my veggie patch. BGgarden 2009 list includes:
  • Colorado Blue Spruce
  • Pin Oak Seedlings
  • Swamp White Oak
  • Bitternut Hickory
Notes from the last purchase:
The Bald Cypress starters did amazing in our sandy soil. We originally had 10 of them but are down to 8 because the deer had them for a snack one winter night. This year I am going to put bamboo stakes next to the woody starts with hopes the deer will find them less appealing.


Juncus SURVIVED my zone 5 conditions

I was super excited yesterday afternoon to uncover a section of my garden to find that the Juncus effusus 'Spiralis'. When I worked in the greenhouse in years past this was always merchandised up in the Annuals. Last year a garden club visitor told me that this interesting beauty would survive our winters so I placed my Juncus in one of my beds. The juncus is commonly used in container designs because of its unique twisty characteristics. I can't wait to see what the summer will hold for this treasure I wintered over!

Off to check my seeds with hopes of some new sprouts to write about later in the week. Happy Monday Friends!


13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Bren, wanted to come over and see what you're up to. Busy busy I see. I LOVE your Spiralis - that is soooooo neat. I'll have to google it and see if I can have one here. What are you holding in you hand in the upper collage bottom right I think it was. Great post! Linda

Dirt Princess said...

Hmmm...I don't know that I have ever seen a Juncus....but I like it :). Neat little plant. Don't you love when plants survive when they technically aren't supposed too!!!

Bren Haas said...

Linda - that is my son holding a big'ol yucky cat fish from our pond. The tag on the Juncus I have says it is hardy in zones 5 - 9.
PW Juncus Tag

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Your juncus looks very good, Bren! Mine (in the container) doesn't look good after this winter. I didn't take good care of him after I got him from a neighbor. She told me that he should survive a winter and we are in zone 7B.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Such pretty photos. Do you eat the catfish?
The juncus looks a lot like corkscrew rush. I wonder if it's the same. I love how it looks!

Bren Haas said...

Catherine - we didn't eat the Cat Fish he went back in the pond for another time. We had steak on the grill that afternoon.

Yes - my juncus is a spiral according to the tag. Taytana - mine was covered with lots of leaves for the winter. We are in zone 5. Maybe give it a try next year because they really are fun plants.

Love hearing about everyone's experiences with these 'perennials'.

Susie said...

I think that little Juncus is such a neat looking plant. We sell a good bit of it at work. It adds such an interesting texture to a container or bed.

Heather said...

Bren- looks good there in your neck of the woods. I like that Sprialis. Very interesting plant. The photo collages you do are fun to look at too.
-Heather

joey said...

You made me weep, dear Bren ... my Juncas 'Curly Wurly' held my heart for 3 years then, poof, expired. I'm lonesome and miss it and will have to visit yours. Lots of good spring stuff happening 'in your neck of the woods'! (Hugs) p.s. I'm delighted to see your site growing like your garden :)

Unknown said...

Juncus is a cool plant. It survived my z5 too.

Great collages also.

Rob (ourfrenchgarden) said...

Hi Bren

I've not grown Juncus. It looks very, well, cool really.

I like your picture montages.

Aussie is a cutie.

Rob

Roses and Lilacs said...

Still don't see any signs of life in my Juncus. If it doesn't come back I believe I'll get another anyway. Love the twisted foliage.
Marnie

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Bren,
I love your collage! I thought that was a catfish, and see I was right.

I don't think I've grown juncus before. It is a good looking plant.