Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii 'Goldsturm

 

Rudbeckia fulgida var. sullivantii 'Goldsturm

I have been waiting all season for the buds to bloom on this PRIZE WINNING Perennial that was added to my garden three years ago. This is one of my favorites because it is as stunning as the Black Eyed Susan but yet it BLOOMS ALL SUMMER!
This grouping is up near my front porch garden where we can enjoy them daily. Nothing says 'WELCOME' quit like the color and the mass blooms provided by this plant that is merchandised as a annual in my zone 5.

A member of the Asteraceae (Compositae) family, orange coneflower or black-eyed Susan has a native range from New Jersey west to Illinois. 'Goldsturm' orange coneflower is significant in its compact habit and 1-2-inch golden-yellow petals which encircle a nearly black cone of disk flowers. The leaves are coarse, dark green lanceolate to ovate, 3-6 inches long; stem leaves are smaller, almost bract-like. The "gold storm" blankets the tops of 18-30-inch tall plants from mid-July to October. Plant width is 24 inches.
Posted by Picasa




Rudbeckia - Autumn Color

This was a new addition to the greenhouse this spring. I was extremely anxious to see the true colors this perennial would put out. I am pleased with the choosen name because it is truly an Autumn Mix. Anxious to see if it holds up to the repetation of its family - the Rudbeckia. These images were taken from my garden yesterday during the rain.

Happy Gardening!

4 comments:

A Life Inspired said...

Wow! Wow! WOW!

Hi Bren, I just had an awesome time getting caught up with what's new at your summer wonderland!

I lost more than 6 weeks taking care of Mom and things here look a little weathered, including me. That, and it's Texas HOT again! Trying to nurse things back.

Continue to enjoy the fruit of your labor -- it's a beautiful place you have there!

A Life Inspired said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
erin said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yours is BEAUTIFUL!! I love gardens, but as we live in an apartment, we don't have one of our own.

Anonymous said...

Bren,

I am Edee and Jen (in Siberia) is my daughter. We have heard so much about you. She (and we) are so glad that you are both friends. Your site is beautiful and we (Michael & I) have enjoyed viewing it this afternoon. This posting caught my attention because I just planted this species last year and now they have finally bloomed this year. I am looking forward to dividing them and spreading the beauty throughout the landscape. If you have any tips about this please advise by email. Thanks for being there to share time with Jen. She speaks of you so often. Michael says your images are beautiful. Blessings to you.